A lion lies within the sunshine on the Colorado Wild Animal Sanctuary in Keenesburg in 2017. Image: RJ Sangosti/The Denver Publish through Getty Photos
The Colorado Wild Animal Sanctuary has its do the job decrease out for it.
What’s taking place: The nonprofit located in Keenesburg, about 45 minutes north of Denver, is planning to get and relocate lots of of animals from Puerto Rico’s solely zoo.
- The 45-acre zoo was bought to shut beforehand this yr amid a federal investigation into problems with animal abuse. It has not been divulge heart’s contents to the neighborhood contemplating the truth that hurricanes Irma and Maria devastated the realm in late 2017.
Why it points: That is believed to be the best airlift switch of unique animals within the globe, sanctuary spokesperson Derek McCormick tells Axios Denver.
Particulars: Sanctuary workers are scrambling to nail down a slew of logistics, from developing and supply animal crates to Puerto Rico to lining up flights and floor transportation, planning enclosures, and securing different safe areas to place them all through the state.
- Puerto Rico’s zoo residences round 500 animals, along with chimpanzees, lions and an elephant.
- Lots of the large carnivores — which embody tigers, bears and wolves — will arrive to Colorado. However primates, birds and different animals that may’t deal with the chilly shall be relocated outdoor the situation.
The intrigue: The sanctuary was picked out to allow due to its expertise. McCormick claims it has carried out numerous numbers of sudden emergency operations, like island-primarily primarily based rescues — an significantly helpful ability when it arrives to shifting animals out of Puerto Rico.
- The sanctuary’s authorities director, Pat Craig, has additionally labored with the federal govt on cases up to now and is successfully linked with different sanctuary operators.
What they’re declaring: Craig “has been throughout so extended. He’s conscious of everybody within the animal world,” McCormick tells us.
- He was even tasked with rescuing animals from Netflix “Tiger King” Joe Unique’s park in Oklahoma.
What’s up coming: The sanctuary is planning to start getting and relocating animals in Might, McCormick suggests.
- Animals launched beneath shall be housed in Keenesburg as successfully as on the sanctuary’s more moderen private dwelling in southern Colorado that is just below 10,000 acres.
- “It may be heading to be a ton of get the job carried out,” McCormick says. “However we’re all set.”
Of take be aware: The sanctuary accepts donations and volunteers — and the desire want for the 2 will seemingly develop simply after essentially the most present arrivals, notes McCormick.